Sunday, February 25, 2018

To love an empath

em·path
ˈempaTH/ noun - a person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the mental or emotional state of another individual.

My path over the last year has crossed many others, most of which have parted ways pretty quickly. I always joke that I have rabbit in my blood, I'm a runner. Mostly from people, I cherish my alone time. Being an empath is not easy, and finding someone who knows how to handle my empathic ways is even harder. I am highly sensitive, being able to absorb emotions of others is quite draining. Empaths must have a space that is all their own to re-energize. It can be tiring always feeling the energy of the people surrounding us, most people don't understand and become angry or annoyed. It doesn’t mean we don’t love or want to be around you, it just means we need to quiet our mind and replenish our energy. We will come back happier than before, please don't interpret it as anything personal.

We sensitive creatures are born with an ability to feel things before we can even logically make sense of the feelings. Loving an empath can be rewarding because we live on touch, sound, and other senses. Unfortunately, what we know doesn’t always have a logical explanation. We can be incredibly accurate with our information but not be able to tell you how they picked up on it. If you are in a relationship with this type of personality be sure to always be open to your feelings. You might not understand how your energy is portraying to your lover or mate. Loving an empath is like being on a magical carpet ride. You never know where it will take you. Living with an empath means you must detach from watching the news at times. They get overwhelmed by noises and distractions. Part of their survival is about desensitizing.

It’s overwhelming being an Empath. Some days all it takes is for somebody to say one “wrong” thing to me or to see an image of something terrible or hear a story about a person I don’t know who’s gone through the unthinkable and I’m crying like a baby. My hearts break easily, I wear my heart on my sleeve. It’s very difficult to stand back and rationally understand why we can get so self-absorbed with someone else’s drama. It can be devastating at times to be an Empath, so on those days, let me cry. No questions or advice needed, just accept empath's hearts are heavy from this world and we need to cry it out. While we thrive on the loving and positive feelings, we are unable to escape feeling negative emotions that can be somewhat daunting. Feeling so deeply makes it difficult to adjust to new situations and forces the empathic person to proceed slowly when meeting new people or taking on new projects.

Caging me will cause damage. Like the dog tied to a tree in a person's front yard, I need to be able to run wherever my emotions take me. There will be twist and turns with the highs and the lows and all the turns in-between.Trying to cage and control me will cause me to become rebellious and self destructive. Eventually I will just shut down and the love I have to give will disappear. Humor is important in our relationships with other people. Sometimes we need someone to pull us out of our minds or the mood that we have adapted. I know that childish fun and immature banter is great therapy for me. To find someone who can share that with me is becoming a endless search.

I know I'm different, it isn't a surprise to me. The way I view life and the things around me doesn't make sense to most people. Most people just try to change me, toughen me up. I will never change being an empath, embrace my uniqueness and support me. My ideas may sound quirky, but the desire and drive to change the world is inside of me. Supporting an empath to gain the energy to take on anything will also help us feel safe. We don't open up to people often, but once an empath feels safe sharing their world with you it's a beautiful thing.

Because of the overwhelming emotions we look for ways to numb or cope. This is where addiction rolls into the picture and turns a misunderstood process into a disaster. Because we are not aware that we have collected everyone else’s energy into our already overloaded systems, we meltdown and look for a way to become comfortable. Think about this, even those coming from the most comfortable homes in America have emotional baggage, it just happens because that’s what life is, a collection of hurt, loss, anxiety and so on. So let’s take those that have all of these amplified by the extreme, add everyone else’s energy to theirs because after all, they are EMPATHIC, and throw them into the world to see how they “deal.” Empaths are always seeking an escape. They want to block out all of the emotions that they are feeling as a form of self-protection. Because of this, they often turn to drugs, alcohol, sex, or another addictive habit. Many addicts are actually emotional and empathetic people looking for a way out. It is simply a self-preservation and survival technique.

It’s no surprise that when you feel deeply connected to almost everything, you love with great intensity. I truly feel “one” with my surroundings! So when an empath loves somebody, we feel one with them and our love is intense. It’s powerful. It can heal but in the wrong hands, it can be dangerous. In the right hands, it will change you forever. And for the better. Poking fun at my sensitivity is one thing. Judging, ridiculing and belittling who I truly am is another. Acting as if “this” is something I will “get over” is a kiss of death when in a relationship with an Empath. Accept me. Love me. I have a unique ability to see and feel the world differently. It takes a secure man to really love an Empathetic woman. That is the God’s honest truth. If you want to tear me down by casting your insecurity on me, sadly it may work. Feeling how others feel isn’t something I can turn off. But I know if you do that, I will hide the best of myself from you. I will temporarily clip my own wings and it will be your loss. The beauty and most amazing parts of me happen when I'm in motion.

Maybe you’ve met me at the wrong time, or it wasn’t meant to be forever or this is too much for you right now. Either way, love me by leaving gracefully. Do not cage me, put me down or make me feel insecure about who I am. Love me by leaving with respect and honesty. I will love and thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To love an empath

em·path ˈempaTH/ noun - a person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the mental or emotional state of another individual. My path over...